Powerful or Empowered?

Each one of us wants power or rather wants to show that he/she is powerful. There lies a quiet sense of satisfaction in being able to exercise power. I first learnt about the "power concept" in my graduation period (I happened to be a student of Politics). Until then, I could associate power only with politicians or people who hold administrative positions. Even now, when we think of power ... we think of our netas, our officer babus ... that is a very limited connotation of the term. In my view, each one of us has some power within us irrespective of the position, name, fame and money that we possess in our lives. I would like to think of power in a positive frame ... not something which is merely associated with positions.

After a lot of pondering, I thought about empowerment. You may wonder what is the difference between power and empowerment...two similar sounding words. Power is more of an abstract concept. For me empowerment is more important. I believe that as an individual, i should be empowered rather than powerful. Empowerment connotes more with the self, the self that is "me", one whom I can control and decide for. Let us take the example of our leaders. We have very few exemplary leaders who lead us in the true sense of the term. I would say they are not empowered enough inspite of holding power positions.

Same is the case with the Women's Reservation Bill that recently created an uproar. But if we introspect and think, is it going to really benefit the women lot. A few women in power positions, a few women with money, prestige and fame. Is that all? Do these few represent the entire women lot in the country? No, and that is why rather than trying to put women in power positions (in Parliament, in administration)...the focus should be on the empowerment of that woman who is a commoner and whose self-worth is required to be built.

There is a lot more to power than your designation and your position. True power lies not in occupying a certain post with authorities and rights ... it lies in being able to uplift those who are unaware of the power within them.

My message is: Don't be powerful, be empowered ... thats when you can become a change agent for the world.

Comments

Popular Posts